Vision for Success Headline Animator

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Internet is our most underutilized resource.


As defined by Wikipedia the internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks used to serve billions of users worldwide. Over the years I have visited many useful sites for research, information, booking travel, and even instructions on preparing a simple meal.

I watched Social Network, the movie,with my wife last week. It is amazing to see how the internet amplifies an idea. Mark Zuckerberg has undoubtedly created a place in history as the world's youngest billionaire with his rock star popular internet build up of Facebook. There are multiple sites that do some of the same things. The internet is a tool that has unlimited potential and has steadily become a part of our everyday culture. From our personal computers to our cell phones information is becoming more readily accessible.

If and when I do watch television I do it online. A few weeks ago I happened to run across the story of Ted Williams. Ted was a beggar turned famous by his golden voice. I just happened to receive an email just prior to his rapid climb on YouTube. Over 5 million people in 4 days watched a video shot of him sharing his story from a street corner. I wonder what would happen if 10,000 people from our community uploaded their stories to YouTube at the same time. How can we harness the billions of dollars that seems to be floating around the internet?

There are undoubtedly millions of websites that are out there. Certain sites seem to have their season and benefit greatly from their idea. Ideas like linking people socially or presenting information that no one else seems to have. The internet is also filled with a steady array of blogs. I started my blog in 2009 (www.visionforsuccess.blogspot.com). Though I am not quick to join every new community that hits the web, I have found some sites more useful than others.

I am sure you have a list of sites of your own that have proven helpful in gathering information. Here is a list of some sites that I have used from time to time. The value of the internet has far exceeded many peoples expectation. I have often wondered what would happen if communities like ours could harness the potential of the internet to create jobs, advertise, and effectively communicate who we are.

My initial intent was to list websites that I frequent. The list is pretty exhaustive (i.e. www.wordpress.org, www.blogger.com, www.typepad.com, www.blogtalkradio.com,www.vimeo.com, www.salon.com, www.grants.gov).

With all that the internet provides and is capable of doing it may be our most underutilized resource.

Jesse J Wilkerson is the principal for a local architecture firm, Jesse J Wilkerson & Associates LLC. He also hosts "Vision for Success" on 1240 AM WHBU and is a columnist for the Herald Bulletin in Anderson, In, USA. You may find his articles at www.heraldbulletin.com under the Opinion section of the newspaper.

1 comment:

  1. Jesse I found this to be a very interesting post about the internet. I myself have won internet contest for affiliate marketing for different web sites and internet programs. My internet marketing career started when the mortgage and real estate arena took a dump even 2 years before there was a resession. I was a real estate investor and mortgage officer and processor. The internet saved me and I never looked back. I only wish I was more open minded to before.

    wwww.KendallBrazley.com

    www.BigMoneyBlast.com

    ReplyDelete